Friday, January 15, 2010

3 weeks old

So it's pretty different the 2nd time around, we keep having to remind ourselves to take pictures whereas I think we had a couple hundred of Lily by week 3.
Going from an established routine to bringing home baby has been a real adjustment. Luckily I have a great husband and he was able to stay home for the first 2 weeks. I don't know how a new Mom could do it otherwise. The first week I was able to just take it easy and take of Henry while Jesse took care of, well everything else basically.
The 2nd week we tried to get some sort of routine going so that I wouldn't be completely overwhelmed on his first day back to work. It's safe to say that we weren't really able to get a routine down (no shit!) but we had a really nice time together as a family and were able to cross some things off our to-do list.
It was a fantastic 2 weeks and we all missed Jesse when Monday morning rolled around and off to work he went.
I am about 5 hours away from completing my first week on my own as a Mom of 2 and there were definitely more good times than bad.
Lily is an awesome helper and has really taken to Henry. He is just the sweetest baby, so good at eating and sleeping and he really isn't that fussy. I mean he has had a couple of moments, but for being 3 weeks old they are few and far between.
He is on a pretty good sleeping routine, to bed at night between 8 and 9 and then up for a feed between 1AM and 2AM then up again around 5AM or 6AM and then down again until about 9AM. It's pretty phenomenal actually, and he doesn't require being rocked or fed to sleep, he goes back in his crib awake most times after a night feed and I go back to sleep and don't hear from him until his next feed.
I don't know how long that will last but I'm loving it right now, I am so much more rested than I was when I was pregnant. I mean I'm up for longer when I am up in the night, but in-between feeding I actually get to sleep for 3 or 4 hours straight whereas at the end of my pregnancy I couldn't sleep for more than 45 minutes at a time from being so bloody uncomfortable.
Nursing is excellent and because of it I've been able to drop 30 pounds in 3 weeks. Beyond the ease of breast-feeding, what with never having to wash/sterilize a bottle, grocery shop for formula and making sure it's the right temperature (although in saying this I really don't know what formula feeding entails) the incredible weight loss that is possible I just don't understand why anyone would ever opt not to breastfeed. And I'm not talking about a woman who has had difficulties and just couldn't do it, I'm talking about a woman who would never even consider breastfeeding for whatever reason.

At the time of actually posting this, Henry is now 5 weeks 3 days, it's safe to say that things have gotten a little busier and I'm hoping to be able to post once a month at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment